OK, as I said in an earlier post, I haven't done a lot of patchwork, mainly because cutting squares or hexagons etc drives me a bit batty, but I had seen some lovely strip patchwork projects on Pinterest so decided to give that a go. I raided the rag bag & pulled out some small scraps & strips of patchwork. I wondered whether I would be able to get a textured rag effect on the strips so stitched them with one raw edge loose. There was no pattern as such, I cut a piece of lining fabric the size of my cutting board & folded the corners to give the bag its depth.
I used a (vintage) pure cotton thread as I hoped this might shrink slightly on washing to add to the texture. Once I had stitched the strips onto the backing & constructed the bag, I cut along the raw edges of the strips like you would do for a rag quilt & washed the bag. After one wash the edges had begun to fray a little:
After the second wash the edges were beginning to fray more & of course will become more textured with use
I love the random upcycled vintage fabrics in this bag & plan to make more of these. This one will be donated to the charity shop next week xx