Free Patterns & Tutorials

Tuesday, 28 April 2015

Vintage Petticoat Rescue



This vintage petticoat was very beautiful with some lovely broderie anglaise but had been through the wars & needed some attention.
Firstly, I removed the label inside as I was concerned this might run when I bleached the fabric.  After soaking for a couple of hours in a weak bleach solution, I laundered & line dried the petticoat.  It had a rather voluminous waistline with tapes inside the waist casing.  I opened the casings at the side seams so that the tapes could be pulled up to gather the waistline & fastened with a bow inside.  I rethreaded the original peach ribbon through the slotted broderie anglaise trim at the top.  Using white cotton thread, I darned over one small dark dot which I had been unable to remove.  Finally I stitched on some white cotton daisy trims to camouflage a couple of small holes towards the hemline.
This petticoat is now officially ready to party!